As US bomber operations iniate at airfields all over Southern England from the summer of 1942, the vehicles used in servicing their Liberators and Flying Fortresses were slowly changing from the standard RAF support vehicles, to specialised US Air Force gear.
By the outbreak of World War II over 400 Albion 3-Point Fuellers were helping the RAF both in Europe and Middle East. Some went to France with the RAF in 1940, and suffered a similar fate to the vehicles of the British Army, being abandoned on the run back to Dunkirk.
Bedford MW series was mostly produced during the Second World War. Early models earned the nickname ‘Pneumonia Wagon’ due to their small windscreens and open cabs. By the middle of the war the MWD had been updated, with a more closed cab giving better protection for the crew. These variants were very important for RAF bases, helping to transport crews and...
The Willys Jeep, officially designated Truck, 1/2 ton, 4x4, is the best known of all the American vehicles of the Second World War. Originally intended to be a command and reconnaissance car, it became the most versatile of all vehicles. Able to be armed with machine guns and to tow small artillery pieces, the Jeep was essential to the Allied war effort.
As the air war over occupied Europe progressively developed, so did the equipment used by the RAF and its Bomber Command. Specialist vehicles were introduced to supply arms and equipment to waiting machines and maintenance tasks were made easier through the introduction of specialised equipment.
Developed from the Supacat designed Jackal 2, the Coyote differs from the Jackal through the addition of an extra axle, turning the machine into a 6X6 design. Its primary role is that of an artillery tractor, with secondary roles of battlefield reconnaissance and assult.
A set to add authenticity to the airfield scenes, with the famous Bedford QL, the huge AEC tanker and ground crew. Set includes two vehicles and nine ground crew figures. Bedford QL: L80 x W30 AEC Matador: L93 x W30
The '88' proved to be an excellent anti-tank gun in France in 1940. By the time it arrived in North Africa it was a feared tank killer, which could knock out any Allied tank at distances well over 1000 metres. The Sd.Kfz.7 could carry gun crews of up to 12 men in theatre-type seats.
Over 100,000 Bren Carriers were built, serving many units including field ambulances. The six pounder anti-aircraft gun was extremely effective against German tanks. This kit includes four crew figures.
The 25-pdr saw service throughout World War II with British and Commonwealth forces and it was generally thought to be one of the best field guns of the war. For transportation, the gun was attached to its limber and towed by the Morris Commercial C8 FAT (Quad). 32 rounds of ammunition were carried in the limbers.
This cleated-tracked landing vehicle was designed for the US Army initially, but then was also used by the British Army in NW Europe. Although usually associated with the Pacific theatre, towards the end of the war LVTs (Landing Vehicle Tracked) were employed in Europe as well. This box also contains the Willys Jeep.